The ongoing 2023 NFL Draft has already been clouded with controversy surrounding Denver Broncos head coach Sean Payton, whose recent appearance in a controversial video, using a bong, has sparked quite a stir. The impact of this incident on Payton’s career remains unknown at the moment, and it remains to be seen how this will affect his future prospects.
Denver Broncos Under Fire as Head Coach Sean Payton’s Bong Video Goes Viral
In 2022, Sean Payton retired from coaching after the New Orleans Saints missed the playoffs for the first time in five years. However, he returned to the job market after a year of rest and was tested in Carolina, Arizona, and Houston before accepting the head coaching position with the Denver Broncos.
Recently, a video surfaced on social media showing a person who appears to be the new Denver Broncos head coach, Sean Payton, using a bubbler. The individual in the video has short blonde hair styled similarly to Payton’s, but the date and location of the recording are unclear. Given Colorado’s early legalization of marijuana, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Payton partake in the local cannabis culture.
Sean Payton is embracing Denver really well pic.twitter.com/o5AVwrDXls
— Barstool NOLA (@BarstoolNOLA) April 27, 2023
Interestingly, Sean Payton is not the first NFL figure to be linked to a bong. Offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil infamously smoked from a gas mask bong moments before the 2016 draft, which caused him to plummet down the draft board. Despite the setback, Tunsil has since bounced back and earned three Pro Bowl selections.
It is unclear why Sean Payton would choose to use marijuana, particularly as the new head coach of the Denver Broncos, without showing his allegiance to “BRONCOS COUNTRY, LET’S RIDE!” while doing so. Some have also raised doubts about whether the individual in the video is indeed Payton. Regardless, the incident has sparked a debate about the NFL’s stance on drug use and how off-field conduct can impact the careers of players and coaches alike.
Sean Payton in the Headlines: A History of the Coach’s Most Controversial Moments
- In 2012, an NFL investigation uncovered that the New Orleans Saints had been paying players to deliberately injure the opposing team’s offensive players.
- Head coach Sean Payton was identified as a key participant in attempting to cover up the program.
- Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season as a result of his involvement, marking the first such punishment in league history.
- In 2022, following the New Orleans Saints’ first absence from the playoffs in five years, Payton announced his retirement from coaching.
- After a year off, he underwent job trials in Carolina, Arizona, and Houston before ultimately being hired by the Denver Broncos.
- In 2023, a video surfaced on social media that appears to show Payton using a bong, raising questions about the NFL’s stance on drug use and the impact of off-field behavior on a coach’s career.
- Last year, the Miami Dolphins attempted to lure Payton out of retirement, which led to an investigation revealing illegal contact between the Dolphins and Payton’s agent, resulting in the team being stripped of draft picks and fined.